Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Saving Gas and Electricity

In April there was an Avalanche at Snettisham (our hydro electric plant). The avalance took out 3 of the towers that bring us our electricity. This put Juneau on diesel generators for quite some time. In fact rates are now at 11.4 cents per kWh, down from the 52.5 cents per kWh that it had been for the months of April, May and June.


The way we have been conserving energy is a lot like other families.
Hanging our laundry, keeping lights off,
using the stove only when we are cooking dinner,
making sure the kids are not leaving lights on, unplugging our T.V., not using my cordless phone, David has been using his cell phone for his alarm clock, and we only used the computer about once a week. The only thing that was really annoying was having hard, crispy towels. I am not planning to use my dryer all that often, however my towels will be dried in the dryer.



Now gas is another story. Gas being over 4.00 a gallon we have tried to cut back on the usage of my Yukon. Seeing how my truck is a gas hog. We tend to use our bikes a lot. Yesterday I ventured to Fred Meyers with Justus to do my grocery shopping.

I brought home 3 gallons of milk, diapers, paper towels, toilet paper, 2 bags of cereal, and 3 huge bags of food.

You can see from the picture above that Justus was covered. Next time I will not get so much groceries or maybe I will have to leave Justus at home.

Have a wonderful day and God Bless

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to drying towels in the dryer. Having to use stiff towels is not one childhood memory I want to revisit very often. Kathryn

Bethany said...

My blog address is vaughns2.blogspot.com. hopefully, it works for you. I can not figure out how to add links to my blog for the life of me. Maybe you will have better luck.

Anonymous said...

love to have your panties mom i am wearing my daughters right now